Equipment for keeping chickens
There are items you'll need to purchase and have to hand prior to getting your new hens.
Here is a list of things you'll need;
- An area for a run or pen
- 1 feeder (or more depending on how many hens you're keeping)
- 1 drinker (or more depending on how many hens you're keeping)
- Feed bin (safe from pests and vermin accessing it)
- Feed scoop
- Nest boxes
A box with food supplements and medical supplies always comes in handy.
These can include:
- Poultry tonic/spice (vit and mineral supplement)
- Citricidal (good for colds and coughs etc)
- Cider vinegar
- Anti-mite/lice/flea powder
- Flubenvet or Verm-X for regular worming treatment
- Limestone flour or Davinova C (Calcium supplement)
- Garlic powder (helps keep hens in good health and also reduces the odour from the droppings).